The 2004 ILS Lifesaving World Championships will be held in the beautiful and sunny city of Viareggio at the coast of Toscany.
Viareggio – the place to be
The city of Viareggio and its adjacent cities have ample hotel accommodation at the most diversified rates. The ILS Board of Directors will be accommodated in the Principe di Piemonte Hotel and the ILS Delegates in other 4 star hotels. The Principe di Piemonte Congress Centre and adjacent plaza will be the central place to be: the conference, meetings, accreditation centre, shop, lifesaving village, lifesaving night club, cocktail bar, etc… are all within 100 m walk.
The Italian Federation informed ILS last week that the environmentalists of Viareggio as well as the concession holders did not approve the construction of a temporary pool on the beach. The Italian Federation was consequently forced to move the pool events to the 50 m Olympic Swimming pool of Livorno. The pool was visited by the ILS Secretary General and the ILS Sports Commission Secretary last week and we are happy to inform ILS that it complies fully with the ILS technical requirements and is at 35-45 minutes drive from central Viareggio.
Places to visit
While being in Viareggio it is a must to visit the following places:
– Harbour of Viareggio: place where most luxury yachts are built.
– Lake of Viareggio: the Pucini Centre.
– Carnival City: Major halls where the wagons of Carnival are constructed.
– Pisa: 15 km drive: famous for its inclining tower.
– Cararra: 30 km drive: the most beautiful marble of the world.
– Vinci: the birth city of Leonardo da Vinci.
In the South:
– Rome: 350 km: unique city with over 300 places to visit.
– Vatican City: the capital of the Christians and seat of the Pope.
– Napoli: 450 km: located between the sea and the Vesuvius Volcano and having
unique and breathtaking views.
– Pompei: the legedary city that was destroyed by the erruption of the Vesivius.
In the North:
– Torino: the host city of the 2006 Olympic Winter Games.
– Milano: the heart of the business of the North.
– Modena: Ferrari City.
We advise all participants to book fast, reduced hotel rates can only be
guaranteed until 30 June 2004.
Yes the city is dressing up to welcome ILS and the lifesavers worldwide. some 1,500 people have already settled their accommodation and more are to come. It is also time to start learning some Italian.