Greek Lifesaving Sports Association
To bridge public health with sports for aquatic injury prevention.
The Greek Lifesaving Sports Association (GLSA) is a non-profit organization that operates as the “home” of lifesaving sport in Greece. It is certified by the General Secretariat of Sports of the Ministry of Sports for sport recreation (reg. no 48/19-6-2020) and by the Athens Court of First Instance for water safety (reg. no 489499/4-2-2020). It leads, supports and collaborates with national and international organizations engaged in water safety and lifesaving sport. Its constitution allows literally every citizen and club that wishes to learn how to save a life through sports to become a member, inspired by the true Olympic spirit based on which sports should serve not only those that can collect many medals but everyone.
In the spirit of lifesaving, GLSA believes in:
- the preservation of each single human life
- evidence based actions
- effective administration
- justice for all
- ethical behaviour
- equity through diversity of any type
- learning through recreation
- camaraderie and alliances
- honoring the past and planning the future
- sports for all
Code of Conduct
- We communicate with honesty and confidentiality.
- We value the virtues and expertise each individual or organization has.
- We try to identify, address and cope with problems at the earliest convenient.
- We promote and commend the achievements of everyone whose work is to save lives.
- We value and respect the opinions of others.
- We strive to serve the national and international interests with modesty.
- We do not care for the positions but for the work.
- We are not making promises or statements that we cannot fulfill.
- We encourage diverse participation without discrimination.
- We find new ways of creation when the ordinary paths are closed.
- Facilitate the circumstances to reduce aquatic injuries nationally.
- Strive to maintain GLSA as the national and most respectful authority of lifesaving sport in Greece.
- Benefit specific target groups such as children, university students, lifeguards, public, armed forces, first aiders
- Enhance drowning prevention through alliances and collaborations.
- Expand lifesaving sport and water safety activities in Greece and internationally.
- Create a sustainable business model.
- Act locally and impact globally.
- Collaborate with every national and international organization that corresponds with our vision, mission, values, aims and objectives.
The Greek Lifesaving Sport Association is a newly established organization. Its power lays on its people. They have a rich track record of results in water safety and
lifesaving sport. Since 2011, the leaders and volunteers that constitute the backbone of GLSA, have achieved through the years the following:
- organized 3 Pan-Hellenic Lifesaving Championships (2015, 2016, 2017)
- organized 1 Greek Military Lifesaving Tournament (2017)
- organized University Lifesaving Competitions in Greek Higher Education (2019)
- support teams that participate in the British University Lifesaving Clubs & Association Championships
- organize inter club competitions across Greece
- publish and distribute freely the monthly e-magazine "Sport Lifesaver" of applied lifeguarding and lifesaving sport in 120+ countries
- facilitated the inclusion of the sport in Higher Education
- teach annually dozens Sport Science and Physical Education students in the University of Athens on lifesaving sport as academic carrier and spread it with practical demonstrations in various clubs nationally
- facilitated the inclusion of lifesaving sport in the Hellenic Water Safety Program of the Hellenic Ministry of Health
- teach annually thousands of children water safety and lifesaving sport in schools, summer camps, sports clubs, lifeguard agencies and youth organizations
- teach annually dozens of lifesaving sport judges
- honor prestigious personalities
- maintain the largest historical archive of Greek lifesaving sport (photos, videos, documents)
- maintain the largest water safety library in Greece that is available for scholarly work to its members
- publish lifesaving sport and water safety books and research
- create conferences and courses for public, coaches, judges
- promote lifesaving sport and water safety in media (TV, radio, newspapers, internet, social media)
- collaborate with prestigious organizations to enhance water safety
- have numerous prestigious personalities as Honorary Members
- have numerous prestigious personalities as Supporters
- its membership span in 30 countries