The General Assembly is the supreme governing body of ILS. It is composed of the representatives from Full Member Organisations that are present or represented. Associate, Corresponding and Affiliate Members may participate at the General Assembly but have no voting rights. The General Assembly is fully empowered as set out in the ILS Constitution and Bye-Laws.
The following representatives from Members are present at the General Assembly:
- Representatives from Full Member Organisations. They have the right to attend, to speak and to vote at the General Assembly. They also have the right to nominate candidates to the Board of Directors, the Commissions, Committees or Working Groups of ILS.
- Representatives from Associate Member Organisations. They have the right to attend and to speak.
- Representatives from Corresponding Member Organisations. They have the right to attend the General Assembly.
- Representatives from Affiliated Member Organisations. They have the right to attend the General Assembly.
The General Assembly is empowered to:
- Approve and modify the Constitution (Statutes).
- Elect and dismiss the President and Secretary General and Financial Auditors and appoint and dismiss the other Directors.
- Approve the accounts and accept budgets.
- Exonerate or discharge from responsibility the Board of Directors and the Financial Auditors.
- Determine the annual membership fees.
- Approve Full Members.
- Expel Full Members for reasons other than non payment of fees.
- Voluntarily dissolve the International Life Saving Federation.
- Adopt programmes of activities.
- Decide upon proposals submitted by the Board of Directors, the Regional Branches and Full Members.
- Decide on all other cases foreseen in the Statutes.
Annual General Assembly
The Annual General Assembly is called at least once a year.
Elective General Assembly
The Elective General Assembly is organised every four calendar years as follows:
- 2024: Gold Coast – Australia
- 2021: virtual
- 2016: Eindhoven – the Netherlands
- 2012: Adelaide – Australia.
- 2008: Berlin – Germany.
- 2004: Viareggio – Italy.
- 2000: Sydney – Australia.
- 1998: Auckland – New Zealand.
- 1994: Constitutional General Assembly – Cardiff – United Kingdom.
- 1993: Foundation General Assembly – Leuven – Belgium.