A world free from drowning.
The International Lifesaving Federation (ILS) is the world authority for drowning prevention, lifesaving and lifesaving sport. The ILS leads, supports and collaborates with national and international organisations engaged in drowning prevention, water safety, water rescue, lifesaving, lifeguarding and lifesaving sport.
In the spirit of lifesaving, the ILS believes in:
- humanitarian principles
- effective governance
- tolerance and respect for all
- ethical conduct and behaviour
- equity through diversity
- environmental responsibility
- evidence based decisions and learning
- true engagement and effective communication
- being open minded, constructive and committed
- friendship and camaraderie
Code of Conduct/Behaviour
- We are frank and open, in our communication with full disclosure of information;
- We value the wealth of experience and knowledge each of us brings;
- We identify and address issues, problems and conflicts in a timely manner;
- We work towards the common good, while respecting our differences;
- We seek first to understand then to be understood; we listen carefully;
- We are accountable for and committed to our decisions;
- We support each other, respect diversity and encourage participation.
- Improve the position of the ILS as the world authority of drowning prevention, lifesaving, lifeguarding and lifesaving sport.
- Build the capacity to reduce drowning within targeted communities, especially in low and middle income countries.
- Expand the scope, reach and recognition of lifesaving sport.
- Create a sustainable business model.
- Establish and promote global best practice in lifesaving, lifeguarding and the broader drowning prevention.
- Engage with every organisation with objectives similar to the ILS and with every nation on drowning prevention, water safety, water rescue, lifesaving, lifeguarding and lifesaving sport.